Friday, August 8, 2008

Cleaning the Sty.

Anyone who knows me has discovered that I am a complete packrat. I cannot throw things away, partially out of laziness, but mostly because there are too many possibilities. I cannot get rid of something for fear it will be just the thing I will need to complete one of my many "projects" (these projects are often of a dubious nature, including creations such as the 'Birth of Venus' made out of a Cap'n Crunch box pictured above). Often when I finally do throw something away after years of clinging to it, I will finally find a use for it immediately after it is irretrievable. It is a frustrating cycle of binging and purging-- but mostly the hoarding binges. My bedroom this summer has suffered the crossfire of this constant war I have with my need for clean and my need for things. Unfortunately I have fed, and fed, and fed this monster of packratting and pile making, and now the painful purge is necessary if I would like to be able to move freely in my room without breaking my neck on one of the many piles. The one thing about throwing up is that it always sucks while it happens, but afterward you always feel much better. If you have seen my bedroom this summer it looks like it could become a living beast at any moment-- and unfortunately my psyche is just as monstrously disheveled. All year I have been hunkered into survival mode-- packratting to console my exhausted, depression ridden self, and I have finally reached the point where I have the mental facilities to take back the power and begin the purge. Good. It is about time.


here are some recent exploits that have fed the packrat room mess monster

3 comments:

susan m hinckley said...

One of the things that makes it hard for me to yell at you for not cleaning your room is that when you DO make something out of the detritus, it is often so full of fabu-hannah-liciousness that I shudder to think what I might have missed out on if I'd made you throw things away! But, as your mother, I must say "thank you for FINALLY cleaning your room." xo

Hannah Francis said...

i think you said thanks a little prematurely.....hehe

Jake and Chelsea said...

PURGE!!!! oh it will be a great day for the upstairs. although....that birth of venus is fanfreakintastic...