Saturday, January 16, 2010

Desire Paths


Architecture does its best to plan for the many directions people want to travel. With sidewalks, hallways, walkways and many other features to ease the process of getting from place to place, architects subtly guide people through the paths of their own intentions. But unfortunately for those careful mathematicians, people do not always stick to the carefully kempt path or sidewalk.

Desire paths. We have all seen and used them. When we cut across a lawn or round a square corner, we are creating a path: one not subject to the intentions of an architect but a path formed from our desire to get somewhere in a way design, or land does not intend for us to go. Your homework now is to seek out the desire paths around you, to find them and appreciate just why they are there.

I have long believed in the notion that sidewalks are oppressive, but was never quite sure why I felt this way. Sure, sidewalks are easy, but is easy and accessible always best? Do I want to always follow the docile path created for me? No. I most certainly do not. I have a rebellious spirit in me, that distinctly dislikes being told where to go and what to do. This is sometimes to my detriment, but I have learned to embrace the good things this has given me. This independence has helped me form of my life my own desire path. I know where I want to go, and I know how I want to get there, and though it may feel like I am working agaisnt the current right now, I know that I am headed in the right direction.

And along my path, I will leave my many marks, because I want to be surrounded by more than a cement sidewalk. Here are some recent marks along my path:

3 comments:

susan m hinckley said...

Awesome, Hannah -- I think the idea of "desire paths" is brilliant, and I thank you for introducing it to me. And it's so marvelous to see your "marks" as you go along! Keep forging ahead.

Amelia Poll said...

I wish that, even for one second, I could have the perspective with which you look at life. It is a beautiful thing. You are marvelous, and anyone's whose life gets to be marked by yours, is definitely lucky.

Chelsea said...

that's my sister!